- To help libraries and archives correct the culturally inappropriate, incorrect and colonially centered metadata, subject headings and descriptive records which currently exist in Arctic collections.
- To support Indigenous Peoples in defining the ways in which they and their environments are described in this domain.
- To make Arctic Indigenous languages more present in metadata, subject headings and descriptive records.
- To build infrastructure, practices, tools, and relationships among Thematic Network partners to promote sustainability going forward.
Thematic Network on Decolonization of Arctic Library and Archives Metadata (DALAM)
The DALAM network works in the area of decolonization of metadata, descriptive cataloguing, archival description, classification systems, subject headings, and other terminology that is used by libraries and archives. The network serves as a community of practice for librarians, archivists and information professionals who work in this area.
- Regular meetings of the network to identify issues and problems that the network partners can jointly address
- Biennial Network meetings in conjunction with the Polar Libraries Colloquy to provide opportunities for sharing research results
- Develop shared tools to help partners in their decolonization work
- Develop educational activities for partners
- Meets monthly
- Recruit additional partners, particularly Indigenous partners
- Half-day workshop at Polar Libraries Colloquy Meeting June 5-11, 2022, Quebec Canada
- Educational events for members
- Development of an inventory of community approved dictionaries and terminology lists
- Campbell, SM. Introducing DALAM: A proposed UArctic Thematic Network. Polar Libraries Bulletin, Spring 2022, Issue 85, p. 3
- Wolfe, A. CSH Headings Related to Indigenous Peoples. November 2022. Online presentation to Translation bureau.
- Campbell SM. Decolonisation of Arctic Library and Archive Metadata. Polar Humanities and Social Science Seminar. Scott Polar Research Institute. Cambridge, England. October 13, 2022.
- Wolfe, A. CSH Headings Related to Indigenous Peoples. September 2022. Online presentation to Ontario Library Service.
- Stearns B. and Culpepper F. Technical aspects of implementing decolonized subject headings at the University of Alberta Library. September 26, 2022. Online presentation to DALAM members.
- Wolfe, A. CSH Headings Related to Indigenous Peoples. August 2022. Online presentation to North: the Canadian Shared Print Network.
- Pretty, H., Penney, S., and Doucette, M. Unsettling the Catalogue: Decolonizing Library of Congress Subject Headings at Memorial Libraries. June 8, 2022. Online presentation at Atlantic Provinces Library Association 2022 conference.
- Farnel, S. DALAM Thematic Network Workshop: Decolonizing Metadata: Enabling Sharing of Cultures through Respectful Representation, Polar Libraries Colloquy, Quebec City, Canada. June 6, 2022.
- Wolfe, A. CSH Headings Related to Indigenous Peoples. May 2022. Online presentation to National Indigenous Knowledge and Language Alliance - Respectful Terminology: Creating a National Framework.
- Wolfe, A. CSH Headings Related to Indigenous Peoples. March 2022. Online presentation to Council of Prairie and Pacific University Libraries Directors Meeting, March 2022.