The intern strengthens connections between U.S. UArctic members and Finland, in particular the University of Lapland, and raises the awareness of U.S.-Finnish academic collaboration possibilities within UArctic and at the University of Lapland. The intern assists the U.S. Embassy and the University of Lapland in providing up-to-date information about U.S. opportunities through various channels, including the American Arctic Space information screen at the University of Lapland, and also through the UArctic website, coordinated by the UArctic International Secretariat. Additionally, the intern coordinates events and collaboration linked to the American Arctic Connection.
The UArctic International Secretariat is the coordination and administrative hub of the UArctic network, located in Rovaniemi, Finland and hosted by the University of Lapland. The UArctic International Secretariat provides communication and information services and tools that facilitate networking and cooperation between its members. These also serve to promote the members’ activities, including research capabilities, results, and education offerings. The work of UArctic members is primarily promoted through the UArctic website and other online platforms.
The intern is placed at the UArctic International Secretariat at the University of Lapland but works also in close collaboration with the international office at the University as well as the University of Lapland’s Arctic Centre and the Lapland University of Applied Sciences.
UArctic International Secretariat
Yliopistonkatu 8, 96300 Rovaniemi, Finland
The internship opportunity is open for 1) students currently enrolled at or for recent graduates (less than one year) of UArctic's Higher Education member institutions in the United States:
- Alaska Pacific University
- Climate Change Institute - University of Maine
- Dartmouth College
- Finlandia University
- Florida SouthWestern State College
- Ilisagvik College
- University of Alaska Anchorage
- University of Alaska Fairbanks
- University of Colorado
- University of Maine at Fort Kent
- University of New England
- University of New Hampshire
- University of North Dakota
- University of Southern Maine
- University of Washington
or 2) American students in Finnish UArctic member universities who can demonstrate strong academic networks in the United States.
- Diaconia University of Applied Sciences
- Kajaani University of Applied Sciences
- Karelia University of Applied Sciences
- LAB University of Applied Sciences
- Lapland University of Applied Sciences
- Laurea University of Applied Sciences
- Oulu University of Applied Sciences
- Sámi Education Institute
- Savonia University of Applied Sciences
- Tampere University
- University of Eastern Finland
- University of Helsinki
- University of Jyväskylä
- University of Lapland
- University of Oulu
- University of Turku
Students must be considered to be in good academic standing by their home institution in order to be eligible. The length of funding will be up to 6 months.
Ideally the internship placement would start in February and end in June. Travels to and from Rovaniemi (includes airfare, hotel, daily allowance) and housing expenses during the internship will be covered.
Successful candidates should have:
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- good ICT skills, interest and good skills in social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- experience in organizing and promoting events
- social skills for working in an international and intercultural environment
- skills in photography are considered as an asset
- understanding and knowledge on Arctic issues
- ability to work independently, under leadership and with multiple tasks
Educational background is not the first factor in the selection procedure, however understanding of Arctic issues (human, social, environmental) and of UArctic are considered an asset. Supervision and tutoring on the new techniques and skills will be provided by UArctic.
When? What? How?
The internship period at the UArctic international Secretariat is up to six months (Feb 1 – June 30, 2023).
Grant for the internship: 1500€/ month. Travels to and from Rovaniemi (includes airfare, hotel, daily allowance) and housing expenses for five to six months will be covered.
Application deadline: December 16th, 2022
Required documents: Application (free- form open letter), recommendation letter and CV to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The intern placement is a joint effort between the University of Lapland and U.S. Department of State’s Federal Assistance Award from the US Embassy in Finland.